Not every home has wooden barrels in which tomatoes are usually fermented. Therefore, most housewives use ordinary glass jars. These can be purchased at any hardware store. In addition, they are small and very easy to use. It should be noted that the taste of such tomatoes practically does not differ from the barrel ones. The main thing is to choose the right spices and additives. In this article, we'll learn how you can make delicious barrel green tomatoes in jars at home. Below we will look at a couple of recipes that allow you to make pickles no worse than from a barrel.
Pickling green tomatoes in jars
To make salted green tomatoes in jars, like barrel ones, you need to prepare the following ingredients:
- green tomatoes (the amount of vegetables is determined depending on the number of cans);
- pure water;
- cloves of garlic;
- black peppercorns;
- food salt;
- dill greens;
- Bay leaf;
- horseradish roots and leaves;
- leaves from currants and cherries.
Attention! For the preparation of the workpiece, select only those tomatoes that have turned a little white or turned pink. Too green fruits contain a large amount of solanine (poisonous substance).
The process of preparing a snack is as follows:
- All prepared vegetables and herbs are thoroughly washed and dried on a towel.
- Salting jars must be thoroughly washed with warm water with the addition of soda. It is not necessary to sterilize containers.
- Next, go directly to the cooking process. Prepared herbs are laid out at the bottom of each jar and spices are added to taste. Then the green tomatoes are laid out plump and covered with herbs and spices again.
- Now they begin to prepare the brine. This requires only two ingredients - salt and water. Salt is taken at the rate of five liters of water, one glass of table salt. The water does not need to be heated, just stir the brine until the crystals are completely dissolved.
- Immediately after that, the tomatoes are poured with the prepared brine. Banks must be covered with plastic lids. In this form of pickling, they should stand at room temperature for a day. After a day, the jars can be moved to a cooler place for further storage. If you salt a small amount of tomatoes, they can be placed in the refrigerator.
- The salting process is quite lengthy. Therefore, you will have to wait about 2 months before trying the prepared snack. But don't doubt it's worth it!
Important! Tomatoes prepared according to this recipe never explode.
Recipe for pickling tomatoes in jars with mustard
Salted green tomatoes have a rather spicy taste that attracts many gourmets. However, skillful hostesses manage to make it even more expressive and interesting. For example, you can add a little mustard to salted tomatoes. We will now consider this very recipe.
In order to salt three liters of green tomatoes, you need to prepare the following ingredients:
- green tomatoes (how much will fit in a three-liter jar) - up to two kilograms;
- mustard powder or ready-made mustard - twenty grams;
- dry bay leaf - six pieces;
- edible salt - about 60 grams;
- red hot pepper - a quarter of a pod;
- granulated sugar - one tablespoon;
- cloves of garlic - three or four pieces;
- allspice - five peas;
- dill branch;
- horseradish leaves - one piece;
- black peppercorns - from seven to nine pieces.
Salted tomatoes are prepared in this way:
- Banks for blanks must be thoroughly rinsed under running water using detergents or soda. Then the containers are carefully wiped off with a towel. Pickle jars do not need to be sterilized, which saves a lot of time.
- Vegetables and greens are washed under running water and left on a towel so that the glass will have excess moisture.
- A branch of dill, black and allspice pepper, lavrushka, hot pepper and horseradish leaves are spread on the bottom of the jar.
- The garlic is peeled and cut into thin slices.
- Each tomato is cut near the stalk and the hole is filled with chopped garlic.
- Prepared green tomatoes are placed in jars.
- A small amount of pure water is mixed with salt and granulated sugar. The brine is mixed well to dissolve the components. The resulting mixture is poured into a jar of tomatoes and the required amount of cold water is added.
- A dense piece of fabric is boiled down and squeezed well. Put it on top of the jar and pour the mustard into it. This will protect the workpiece from mold and mildew.
- The jar is left open in a warm room for a couple of weeks. Then the jar should be closed with a plastic lid and transferred to the refrigerator.
Attention! Tomatoes prepared according to this recipe will be ready in a few weeks. They do not deteriorate throughout the winter and retain their taste perfectly.
Benefits of pickling green tomatoes in jars
As mentioned above, not everyone has wooden barrels at home. Still, everyone can make pickled tomatoes just as well as cask tomatoes. It is very convenient to use ordinary three-liter cans for this. Here are just some of the benefits of pickling vegetables this way:
- Cans are more transportable than barrels. They can be placed in any convenient place.
- In jars, you can pickle a small amount of tomatoes and are not afraid that they will deteriorate. Especially convenient for a small family.
- These tomatoes can even be stored in the refrigerator.
- The barrel must be scalded with boiling water and filled with water before making the blanks. Banks are easy enough to wash.
As you can see, in a short time at home you can cook wonderful salted tomatoes in a jar for the winter. Both the first and the second recipe are within the power of each housewife. To prepare such a dish, expensive ingredients and a lot of time are not needed. It is enough to set aside just a few hours for cooking and delicious pickled tomatoes will delight your family all winter.