Buzulnik toothed is a perennial herb that is part of the Astrovye family. The range of the wild-growing species is distributed only in China and Japan. Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy is a hybrid type of culture that was created for landscape design.
Description Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy
Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy is one of the most popular hybrid specimens. The plant retained all biological characteristics: unpretentiousness to the composition of the soil, stress resistance. In the breeding process, the toothed buzulnik's ability to withstand low temperatures has been improved.
Important! The Osiris Fantasy hybrid is recommended for growing in the fourth climatic zone. The culture can tolerate frosts up to -30 0C.
In design, it is prized for the decorative color of the leaves and long flowering. The cycle starts in July and lasts 1.5 months.
- The perennial grows in the form of a herbaceous bush. Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy is larger than the wild species. It can reach 1.8 m in height and 50-70 cm in diameter.
- The leaves are formed at the base of the bush, the leaf plates are large, about 60 cm in diameter, heart-shaped with wavy edges. They are located on long (65 cm) dark brown petioles. The upper part is green with a burgundy tint, glossy, smooth. The lower one is dark purple, with a shallow edge.
- Peduncles are dark-burgundy, thin, rigid structure, smooth, erect. The upper part is branched, consists of corymbose inflorescences.
- The flowers-baskets are bright yellow or orange, 15 cm in diameter, simple, formed by ligulate and tubular petals of dark brown color. They are located tightly.
- Seeds are cylindrical, dark brown, ripen at the end of September.
The root system is superficial, of a creeping type; the buzulnik grows rapidly, occupying large territories.
Important! Hybrid Osiris Fantasy is an aggressor plant that displaces almost all types of flora from the site.
Tall Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy is used in design as an architectural plant
Description Buzulnik Osiris Cafe Noir
The hybrid has a dwarf variety of Buzulnik Cafe Noir (Osiris Cafe Noir) with an earlier flowering period, which begins in June and lasts until August.
Outwardly, cultivars are different. Buzulnik Cafe Noir has the following characteristics:
- The height of a compact bush is no more than 50 cm;
- The leaves are dark purple from spring to late autumn, bright purple in a sunny area, only at the end of the season does a green color appear.
- The shape of the plate resembles maple leaves with pronounced large teeth along the edge.
- The flowers are bright yellow with an orange core, the diameter is 10 cm.
- Stems are long, purple, ending in corymbose inflorescences, consisting of 5-8 flowers. On the peduncle, there are rarely alternate, lanceolate, small leaves with the same color as in the lower part of the bush.
Frost resistance of the Cafe Noir hybrid is high. The culture is grown in the gardens of the Moscow region. The decorative variety is widespread throughout the European part of Russia.
Cafe Noir is recommended for growing in the shade and only in wet soil.
Application in landscape design
Hybrid Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy is a bright plant that attracts attention with a contrasting color of purple leaves and yellow flowers. Used as a background element for low-growing flowering crops. Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy is used to decorate the central part of the flower bed. Shade tolerance allows you to grow a perennial in vacant places, where many species cannot fully develop.
Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy prefers moist soil, so it is planted in lowlands, in areas with a close occurrence of groundwater, used as a tapeworm for decorating lawns, Japanese-style gardens, creating a variety of compositions with coniferous species.
A few examples with a photo of the use of the Osiris Fantasy buzulnik in the design of gardens and personal plots:
- For decorating a rabat.
- For creating a color accent in lawn decoration.
- For filling the mixborder with other flowering crops and conifers.
- For registration of the coastal area of the reservoir.
- Creation of a composition in Japanese style.
- To create a hedge, as well as to delimit areas of the site.
- Can be used as a tapeworm in a flower bed.
The dark bush of Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy is harmoniously combined on the site with white hydrangea
The unusual color of the leaves of the Cafe Noir hybrid emphasizes the composition with flowering crops
Buzulnik toothed in its natural environment reproduces by self-seeding and root shoots. The root system is creeping, branched, covering an area of more than 2 m in diameter. Every year, young shoots from vegetative root buds appear near the bush.
The hybrid Osiris Fantasy and its dwarf form form seeds that fully retain the varietal characteristics. Therefore, the perennial is propagated generatively, by dividing the bush and root shoots.
Seeds are harvested in the fall:
- select several of the largest inflorescences;
- from above they are tied with a cloth so that the seeds do not crumble;
- after flowering, all peduncles are cut, except for the selected ones;
- before frost, the flowers are cut and, together with the fabric, are brought into the room, put upside down.
Shovels are cut with a shovel together with a fragment of the root in the spring and immediately determined to the place reserved for the buzulnik.
The division of the bush can be done at the beginning of the season or after flowering.
Planting and leaving
The time and method of placing the Osiris Fantasy buzulnik depends on the planting material. They also take into account the climatic features of the region. The variety takes root for a long time, adult specimens respond poorly to transplantation in a hot period.
The frost resistance index refers only to the adult Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy who has entered reproductive age. Young plants do not respond well to a drop in temperature. In areas with cold winters, it is better to plant the Osiris Fantasy hybrid, if it is grown in seedlings or root shoots, in spring (approximately in mid or late May). The temperature should settle at a positive mark, and the soil should warm up to +10 C. This condition also applies to purchased seedlings.
The material of the Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy, when planted in the middle of summer, does not take root well due to the high air temperature
Sowing seeds is carried out in the fall, immediately after they are harvested, until spring they will undergo natural hardening and germinate quickly. The disadvantage of planting at the end of the season is the loss of some of the planting material (approximately 60%). If the seeds sprout and spring frosts return, a large number of seedlings will die. Sowing is best done in May or pre-grow seedlings. To do this, in January, they lay seeds in containers, and after the formation of leaves, they dive.
To rejuvenate the bush, it is recommended to divide it once every 5 years. Buzulnik is shared in spring or autumn. In the second case, it is taken into account that the material will take 1.5 months for rooting.
In the event of an emergency transfer of the Osiris Fantasy buzulnik, the dates are not taken into account. The peduncles and most of the leaves are completely cut off from the plant. After transplanting, they are constantly watered and protected from the sun.
Site selection and soil preparation
Buzulnik will not grow on sandy soils, the optimal soil is clay, but well enriched with nutrients. Drainage and aeration does not play a role for the growing season. The roots are close to the surface, they have enough oxygen.
The plant is hygrophilous, they choose a soil that is constantly moistened. Ideal - near water bodies, in the shade of a building on the north side. Ravines, lowlands - these are the places that can be safely assigned to the Osiris Fantasy buzulnik. It is not recommended to plant it in open sunny areas, if there are no reservoirs, you can use the area under the crown of trees.
The soil does not require special preparation. For seedlings, dig up a site under the hole (50x50 cm). A layer of compost is laid out on top, embedded in the soil.
When sowing seeds, the bed is dug up, longitudinal furrows are made. The planting material is covered with nutritious soil mixture, then moistened.
Planting a seedling, plot or root growth of a buzulnik is carried out according to the following scheme:
- The root is treated with a manganese solution and placed in a growth stimulator. Plot sections are processed with charcoal, additional measures are not needed.
- A hole is made so that it is 20 cm wider and deeper than the root system.
- A fertile mixture is poured at the bottom.
- They put the buzulnik in the center and fall asleep.
After planting, watered with settled water.
Important! The plant must be mulched so that the moisture retains longer.
To grow the toothed buzulnik Osiris Fantasy from seeds, they are immersed in longitudinal furrows with a depth of 1 cm.They are sown randomly, the seedlings are thinned when they rise by 15 cm.About 30 cm are kept between the bushes.
Before laying the material, the soil is abundantly moistened and maintained in this state until germination
Watering and feeding schedule
If the Osiris Fantasy buzulnik is located in a wet area or near a reservoir, seasonal precipitation is enough for it. If the soil is dry, then it is watered every day in the morning or in the evening, covering 1.5 m around the plant. The seedlings are watered so that the soil is moistened, but no stagnation of water is observed.
Top dressing for Osiris Fantasy is a must. There is enough organic matter for the bush, the compost is applied in any period of the growing season, it can be fertilized with a liquid agent during watering. Nitrogen fertilizers are recommended in the spring, when the buzulnik builds up the aboveground part.
Loosening and mulching
Mulch the bush immediately after planting, increase the layer of material in the fall, and renew it in the spring. It is better to use peat mixed with compost as mulch; at the end of the season, straw is placed on top.
Loosening for a perennial is not relevant. The weed grass under Osiris Fantasy does not grow, the mulch prevents the soil from drying out and crusting. Weeds are removed near the seedlings carefully so as not to damage the root located close to the soil surface.
Preparing for winter
In an adult plant, peduncles are removed after flowering. The leaves do not lose their decorative effect until frost. Buzulnik is spud, mulch is returned to its place and covered with straw.
After the temperature drops, the entire aboveground part of the seedling is cut
In winter, they close the Osiris Fantasy buzulnik with spruce branches, this is especially necessary for young plants with an undeveloped root system. If the buzulnik grows in the south, it is cut and left under mulch until spring.
Diseases and pests
The wild-growing species of toothed buzulnik is ill very rarely. Hybrids are distinguished by more stable immunity, Osiris Fantasy practically does not get sick. Powdery mildew can infect a plant, but it will not do much harm to it. To prevent fungal spores from spreading to neighboring crops, the buzulnik is treated with colloidal sulfur. Of the pests, slugs may appear, they are collected by hand or the bush is treated with special preparations.
Buzulnik Osiris Fantasy is an ornamental perennial plant created by Dutch breeders based on a wild crop from Asia. Shade-tolerant, moisture-loving plant is widely used in design. The herbaceous shrub Osiris Fantasy is characterized by moderate frost resistance, so shelter is required in regions with cold winters.