Clematis Tudor belongs to the varieties of German selection. It was bred in 2009, the originator of the variety is Willen Straver. Large-flowered clematis, early, is distinguished by long, abundant flowering, unpretentious care and frost resistance.
Description of Clematis Tudor
The large-flowered clematis Tudor, named after the English royal dynasty, looks majestic. Pale purple flowers with longitudinal purple stripes in the middle of the petals resemble the Tudor family coat of arms. The diameter of the corollas is from 8 to 12 cm. The flowers have 6 petals, in the center there are purple anthers on snow-white legs.
The bush is compact, low, the maximum height of the shoots is 1.5-2 m. It blooms twice, the first time from May to June, and the second from July to August. The leaves are pale green, trifoliate. The plant tolerates frost well down to -35 ° C.
Tudor Clematis Pruning Group
According to the description, Clematis Tudor belongs to the 2nd pruning group. The first abundant flowering occurs in the spring on the shoots of the previous year. The plant blooms for the second time in late summer after pruning, on the branches of the current year. In autumn, clematis needs light pruning at a height of 1 m from the ground.
Planting and caring for clematis Tudor
For planting clematis Tudor choose a place protected from the winds and well lit most of the day. The roots of the plant do not like overheating, so the trunk circle should be in shade. It is covered with mulch, shade is created thanks to ornamental crops planted nearby. The plant does not like acidic soil and stagnant water.
The order of planting clematis Tudor:
- A hole for clematis is dug large, with a diameter and depth of about 60 cm.
- If the soil is heavy, a 15 cm drainage layer is made at the bottom and peat is added to loosen it.
- Gravel and expanded clay are used as drainage.
- A deoxidizer and nutrients are added to the soil - rotted compost, bone meal, manure, complex mineral fertilizers.
- On top of the drainage layer, a piece of non-woven material that allows water to pass through, or coconut fiber is placed.
- Then the prepared nutrient soil is poured, leveled and compacted.
- Dig a small depression in the center of the size of the root system of the container seedling.
- If the plant has an open root system, a small tubercle is made at the bottom of the hole, along which the roots are spread.
- The root collar is buried when planting by 8-10 cm, if all the shoots are lignified, green branches cannot be buried.
- Cover with soil and compact, make a small groove within a radius of 10 cm from the plant.
- A solid support is placed next to it, which will not stagger from the wind; the shoots of clematis have very fragile wood.
- Water the near-stem circle of the seedling from the watering can.
- Mulch the soil with sawdust or coconut fiber.
- From the sunny side, the seedling is covered with a screen made of white non-woven covering material for 1.5 months.
Further care consists in regular watering as the soil dries out, the roots should not suffer from a lack of moisture.
Important! In the fall, a young seedling of the 2nd pruning group is cut off near the ground, leaving several strong buds, covered with a layer of mulch and leaf litter.
Photos of Clematis Tudor flowers, according to reviews, leave no one indifferent. It blooms at the age of 3 years, after which it requires special pruning. The lashes of flowering specimens are shortened weakly in the fall, at a height of about 1 m from the ground, covered with spruce branches, spunbond or lutrasil on a frame. In the second year of cultivation, fertilizing is carried out with complex fertilizers from April to August.
Preparing for winter
In the fall, the trunk circle of clematis Tudor is covered with mulch. For this, peat, humus, leaf litter are used. After trimming in October, the lashes are removed from the support and an air-dry shelter is built for them, like for roses. Cover with a covering material when the air temperature drops to -4 ... -5 ° C. The lashes can be rolled up in a ring, but then cracks will appear on the bark, it is more convenient to lay them directly on a layer of mulch, coniferous litter or spruce branches.
Attention! Before mulching the trunk circle, water-charging irrigation is carried out so that the plant is saturated with moisture and does not suffer from winter frosts.
The layer of mulch is made higher than in spring and summer - about 15 cm. Before closing the bush with spunbond, prophylactic spraying with "Fundazol" is carried out.
Clematis Tudor is propagated by dividing the bush, layering and cuttings. When growing seedlings from seeds, varietal traits are not transmitted.
Reproduction by dividing the bush:
- Separate adult clematis Tudor in September with an autumn transplant.
- To do this, dig in a bush around the perimeter. It is important that the shovel is sharp and does not injure the roots.
- They carefully shake off the soil from the root system and divide the bush into several large seedlings with shoots and buds of renewal.
- Delenki are planted immediately in a new place, deepening the root collar.
- Water the tree-trunk circle and cover it with mulch.
Breeding cuttings are usually cut in the summer in the first half of June. Young woody shoots take root better. Several cuttings with 2-3 internodes can be obtained from one lash cut near the ground above a strong bud. Rooting takes place in a greenhouse at high humidity and an air temperature of + 22 ... +25 ° C.
After seeing the photo and description of Clematis Tudor, many will want to purchase his seedlings. It is very easy to propagate a plant by layering. To do this, in the spring, next to the bush, they dig a ditch up to 20 cm deep and up to 1 m long. Fill it with a fertile loose substrate with the addition of humus and vermicompost. One of the long shoots of clematis is bent down and placed in a prepared ditch, sprinkled with soil, secured with wooden or steel slingshots. All summer they watered, fed with fertilizers along with the mother bush. Rooted seedlings are separated in the spring or autumn of next year and transplanted to a new place.
Diseases and pests
It is a pity to lose the beautiful Tudor clematis variety due to oversight. Even a healthy plant with strong immunity is sometimes attacked by pests or suffering from fungal diseases.
Of the pests on clematis, Tudor can settle aphids, slugs, spider mites, in winter mice gnaw shoots under cover. Poisoned grain is used from rodents, slugs are harvested by hand, Fitoverm or other insectoacaricides helps in the fight against aphids and spider mites.
Of the fungal diseases on clematis, rust, powdery mildew, gray rot and wilt are most common. Those gardeners who treat plants with fungicides in autumn and spring believe that they never get sick.
Clematis Tudor is a low liana with large bright flowers. Differs in high decorativeness. Requires cover and light pruning in the fall. The plant is unpretentious in care, tolerates frosts well and rarely gets sick.
Reviews of Clematis Tudor
Maria Pinegina, 35 years old, St. Petersburg
I am not indifferent to clematis, I love them more than roses. Each new variety in my garden is a holiday. Clematis Tudor has pleased this year. The sapling was presented by a friend, knowing about my hobby. My clematis bloomed in the year of planting, in summer. He revealed bright stars of flowers against the background of the light wall of the house, right at the front door. It looked very beautiful and unusual. Hopefully there will be more flowers next year.
Ivan Pustovoy, 40 years old, Novoshakhtinsk
I saw Tudor clematis seedlings for sale and decided to buy. I liked the bright picture with the image of flowers, I did not think that live they are even better. In the first year, clematis was actively growing, but did not want to bloom, the seedling was still young. In the fall, I cut it off almost at the ground, covered it with spruce branches. The next year, my clematis bloomed in August. Large flowers appeared from the very bottom of the shoots, they somehow reminded me of bright gazanias. Decent culture of the Tudor variety, beautiful and unpretentious in care, I recommend it to everyone.