Blueberries are an excellent option for growing in central Russia. The culture is only gaining popularity among gardeners. Reliable and unpretentious hybrids are chosen for planting. Positive reviews about blueberry varieties for the Moscow region confirm the prospects of this culture.
Features of the climate in the Moscow region
The climatic conditions of the Moscow region are perfect for growing blueberries. The temperature regime, the level of precipitation and the composition of the soil contribute to the active development of the bushes. The region has a temperate climate characterized by warm summers and not too cold winters with snow cover.
Blueberries thrive in climates with short, cold summers. The berries have time to ripen even with a lack of heat. In the Moscow region, summer lasts about 3.5 months. This is enough for the formation of the crop.
For culture, the acidity of the soil matters. The bushes develop best at a pH of 3.5 to 5. Sod-podzolic and gray forest soils prevail on the territory of the Moscow region. They are found in the eastern and southern parts of the region. Before planting, deoxidizers are introduced into such soil. In the east and north, there are swampy and peaty soils, which are excellent for growing crops.
What qualities should blueberry varieties have for the Moscow region?
Before planting crops in the Moscow region, they are guided by several factors:
- high productivity;
- good taste;
- transportability and keeping quality of the crop;
- frost resistance;
- immunity to disease;
- winter hardiness.
The best blueberry varieties for the Moscow region
All blueberry varieties can be divided into several groups. They differ in terms of fruiting times, bush size, fruit taste and yield.
Early varieties of blueberries for the Moscow region give a harvest in mid-July. Fruiting of the culture is extended for 2 - 3 weeks. This is the best planting option in the region.
Early varieties of garden blueberries for the Moscow region:
- Bluegold. A hybrid of American selection, known since 1989. The bushes are low, with a large number of shoots up to 1.2 m. The berries are bluish in color, dense, of medium size. The taste characteristics of the fruits are high. The yield is from 5 to 7 kg. Frost resistance - up to -34 ° С. Bluegold is easy to care for, suitable for novice gardeners;
- River. Forms a strong erect bush up to 2 m in size. Berries up to 15 mm in size, intense blue color, have a sweet spicy taste. They hang on the branches for a long time after ripening, they are stored for a long time in the refrigerator. The frost resistance of the variety is high. The yield reaches 8 kg;
- Bluett. It looks like a low-growing bush, which does not exceed 1 - 1.5 m. The crop yield is high and stable, reaching 5 - 9 kg per plant. Fruits are small, 12 mm in diameter, dark blue, with dense pulp. The tasting qualities of the berry are high. The crop does not tolerate long-term storage.
Medium ripening hybrids give a harvest in early August. Such varieties give good fruiting without problems in the conditions of the Moscow region.
Important! The ripening time is influenced by various factors: spring frosts, temperatures in summer and winter, early or late spring.
Varieties of garden blueberries of medium ripening for the Moscow region:
- Blues. The plant forms a powerful bush up to 1.8 m in size. Its berries are medium in size, dense, do not crack. The taste of the culture is high. Its yield is up to 6 kg. The crop can withstand long-term storage and transportation. The frost resistance of the culture is increased, about -34 ° C;
- Patriot. A plant with erect shoots up to 1.8 m high yields large bluish fruits up to 20 mm in size. The flavoring properties of the berries are satisfactory. The yield reaches 9 kg of fruits. With the growth of a shrub, its fruiting worsens, therefore, pruning of shoots is mandatory;
- Blue Ray. A bush with straight shoots, which grows up to 1.8 m. The berries are large, 17 mm in diameter, with a blue shiny skin. The fruiting period of the crop is extended, while its yield is stable and high, reaching 8 kg per plant. The Blurey hybrid has a decorative appearance, withstands frosts down to -34 ° C. An obligatory stage of care is the annual pruning of shoots.
These are representatives of the late ripening culture, which yield in mid and late August. The best varieties of blueberries for the Moscow region with a photo:
- Herbert. Powerful spreading bush up to 2.2 m high. Its fruits are large, up to 22 mm in diameter. The color of the berries is bright blue, the flesh and skin are of medium density. The taste is good, delicate, there is a pleasant aroma. After ripening, the fruits do not fall off the branches. The yield is up to 4 kg;
- Toro. A large hybrid with straight shoots, growing up to 2 m. The berries of the culture are medium-sized, blue in color, with a smooth skin. Fruiting is regular, the yield is up to 8 kg, it is harvested in two stages. Toro variety for universal use: it is used fresh and for processing. Frost resistance - up to -30 ° C;
- Bonus. It looks like a spreading bush up to 1.5 m high. Its fruits are very large, up to 30 mm in size, with a small scar. The skin is light blue, firm, the taste is assessed as good. The yield is regular, reaching 8 kg. Maturation is extended over time. The hybrid is resistant to temperature extremes, in winter it does not freeze at temperatures down to -34 ° C.
Low-growing hybrids are compact in size. In the Moscow region, they reach a height of 1 m. Due to this, the bush begins to bear fruit early. Such varieties take up little space on the site and need minimal maintenance.
The best low-growing blueberry varieties for the Moscow region:
- Northblue. A plant with a height of 60 - 120 cm, which bears fruit in medium terms, yielding high-quality dark blue berries 13 mm in size. They keep well chilled. The yield is up to 3.5 kg. Frost resistance - up to -40 ° C;
- Shegarskaya. This Siberian hybrid was obtained by selection of wild-growing forms. Differs in high resistance to cold and disease. The Shegarskaya variety is self-infertile. The branches of the bush are medium-sized, bear dark blue fruits with a diameter of 11 mm. They taste sweet, with a pleasant sourness. Their skin is tender, with a bluish bloom;
- Northcantry. A low-growing bush that reaches a height of 70 - 90 cm. The plant is spreading and powerful. Its fruits are medium in size, up to 15 mm. The color is light blue, the palatability is high. The flesh of the berries is dense, which provides them with good keeping quality. The yield reaches 8 kg. Northcantry is recommended for processing. Moreover, it is winter-hardy and not demanding on the composition of the soil.
Tall varieties native to North America. In nature, they are found in swamps and forest thickets. Numerous varieties have been obtained on the basis of wild-growing forms. They are distinguished by high productivity, large and sweet fruits.
Advice! When growing tall hybrids, formative pruning is carried out annually.
The best tall blueberry varieties for growing in the Moscow region:
- Covill. Medium fruiting hybrid. Shrub with straight shoots, grows up to 2 m or more. Fruits are grayish in color, large, up to 16 mm in girth. The taste is pleasant, sweet and sour. The productivity of the bushes is above average and amounts to 6 kg. The plant adapts quickly after planting;
- Spartan. A powerful shrub with straight branches that reach 2 m. Ripens at the end of July, yields up to 6 kg of light blue fruits, 16 - 18 mm in girth. Their pulp is dense, withstands transportation, the taste is pleasant, with a slight sourness, the aroma is strong. The plant does not tolerate excess moisture in the soil, is resistant to moniliosis and fruit mummification;
- Stanley. Tall vigorous shrub of early fruiting. Its shoots grow up to 2 m or more. The yield of the plant is average, up to 5 kg. Its fruits are light blue, large. They have a pleasant dessert taste and are not prone to cracking. The crop storage period is limited. It is recommended to find a use for it immediately after collection.
Self-fertile blueberry varieties for the Moscow region
Most blueberry varieties are self-fertile. Such varieties produce white-pink flowers collected in a brush. Pollination is done by bees and other insects. To obtain a high yield, at least 2 bushes are planted nearby. The main condition is flowering at the same time.
The best self-fertile varieties of garden blueberries for the Moscow region:
- Elliot. Tall hybrid of late ripening, which grows up to 2.1 m. Fruits of its medium size, no more than 11 mm. The skin on them is firm, light blue in color. In cold and rainy weather, the pulp acquires a tart aftertaste. When ripe, a subtle aroma appears. The yield reaches 6 kg;
- Darrow. Tall, large shrub up to 2.1 m in size. Its berries are very large, reaching 20 mm. Their color is blue, there is a pronounced aroma. The taste is unusual, dessert. Up to 8 kg of blueberries are removed from the bush. The crop is poorly stored and transported. Frost resistance of the culture is up to -28 ° С;
- Liberty. A vigorous, spreading shrub. Its shoots are strong and tough, up to 1.5 m. Berries are medium and large in size, blue-violet in color, with a sour taste. Their pulp is dense, rich in phenols and antioxidants. Liberty can withstand cold winter temperatures down to -37 ° C.
Harvest varieties of blueberries for the Moscow region
Tall plants bring the greatest yield. Up to 9-10 kg of berries are obtained from each bush. The highest quality and largest fruits are removed in the first ripening wave. Then their value decreases slightly.
The best yielding blueberry varieties for the Moscow region:
- Duke. American hybrid 1.3-1.8 m high. The branches of the bush are straight and tough. The berries are medium in size, with a smooth crispy skin. Frost resistance reaches -28 ° С. Fruiting of the culture is stable. When growing, pruning shoots is regularly performed;
- Nelson. Dense, medium-sized shrub, reaching 1.6 m. Fruiting in medium terms. Its berries are large, up to 20 mm in size, with a blue skin and dense pulp. The taste is good, sweet. The yield is up to 9 kg per bush;
- Bluecrop. A shrub of medium growth, spreading, reaching 1.8 m in height. The culture ripens at the end of July. It is a reliable and productive hybrid that bears up to 9 kg of fruit. Its berries are large, up to 22 mm in size, collected in long clusters.
The most delicious and sweet blueberry varieties for the Moscow region
Blueberries have a sweet and sour taste, reminiscent of blueberries. The sugar content affects the dessert quality of the berry. In the sweetest varieties, this figure reaches 9% or more.
Important! Berries gain a lot of sugars during warm and sunny summers.
The sweetest blueberry varieties for the Moscow region:
What varieties of blueberries are better to plant in the suburbs
When choosing blueberries for growing in the Moscow region, various factors are taken into account. They are guided, first of all, by the timing of the fruiting of the culture. Hybrids of early and medium ripening are guaranteed to yield a harvest. Late varieties do not always have time to ripen, especially in cold and rainy summers.
In addition, the size of mature shrubs is taken into account. Large and spreading representatives give the highest yield, but take up a lot of space on the site. Low hybrids begin to bear fruit earlier and are compact in size. However, they produce smaller berries.
Particular attention is paid to the winter hardiness of the culture, susceptibility to diseases and pests. Such plants are hassle-free to care for and do not need shelter in the fall.
Reviews of blueberry varieties for the Moscow region show that the plants take root well in the plots and give a high yield. When choosing a hybrid, they are guided by its ripening time, winter hardiness and fruit taste.