Grapes are a wonderful dessert delicacy. Gardeners are constantly looking for new varieties of grapes, especially frost-resistant ones. The hybrid form of grapes Gift of Zaporozhye can be grown in the middle climatic zone, covering for the winter. The vigorous vine has a stable yield and is suitable even for novice winegrowers.
If anyone is looking for a problem-free grape variety for their personal plot, which gives results in the first years, this is a Gift from Zaporozhye. The grapes, as seen in the photo, bear fruit abundantly, give aesthetic pleasure from the contemplation of a magnificent bunch, the harmonious taste of large berries and pleases with longevity. A new successful mid-season variety was bred by a breeder from the Ukrainian city of Zaporozhye E.A. Klyuchikov based on the famous Talisman grape and intermediate seedlings V-70-90 + R-65. Later, another related hybrid was created - an early grape variety Novyi Podarok Zaporozhye.
The table grape variety "Gift to Zaporizhia" has high quality characteristics in almost all respects:
- Rapid rooting and adaptation of seedlings;
- Strong vine growth;
- The pollination of grapes is good, does not depend on the vagaries of the weather;
- The first crop is tried in the second year after planting;
- Fruiting occurs on 130-145 days, depending on the agricultural background and the degree of illumination. The grape variety ripens from the third decade of August to 10 September. Bunches, if there is no frost, can hang on the vine until mid-October.
Rainy weather is not a hindrance to the Gift of Zaporozhye, according to the description. Clusters keep their amazing deep green color even overripe. The grapes should be transported very carefully.
In the southern regions, this grape variety is planted in the form of a gazebo, which provides the vine with greater access to the sun. According to gardeners, the Gift of Zaporozhye grapes with such a planting brings a better harvest: the bunches and berries increase, the sugar content and shelf life increase. The variety can withstand frosts down to -24 degrees. If winter temperatures in colder areas tend to drop lower, the vines are sheltered.
You can plant bisexual vines nearby for better pollination. Usually such a bush somewhere in the neighborhood is enough.
Advantages and disadvantages
In reviews of the Gift to Zaporozhye, gardeners note that this grape variety has obvious advantages.
- Abundant fruiting, ability to resist peas. Matures 70% of the ovaries;
- Bright taste and external characteristics of grapes;
- Uniformity of berries in the brush;
- Resistant to rainy weather;
- Commercial attractiveness;
- Winter hardiness;
- Keeping quality until December;
- High resistance of the vine to infection by fungal diseases: mildew, oidium, rot.
The disadvantage of the variety is the need for careful transportation. They put the bunches in boxes in one layer, otherwise the berries easily come off the comb. Some gardeners note the excessive juiciness of the table variety pulp.
The sight of a powerful vine of this variety, bearing weighty green clusters, is admirable. On a vigorous bush, three-lobed dark green leaves, slightly dissected. Despite the functionally female type of flower, pollination is successful.
In their descriptions of the grape variety Gift to Zaporozhye, gardeners note that its conical bunches are medium-dense, but there are also loose ones. Their mass is on average 700-1200 g, the smaller ones are 600 g, the record ones reach 2 and even 2.5 kg.
Berries of the Podarok Zaporozhye variety are oval, large, up to 33-40 mm long, 24-25 mm wide. The light green color does not change even with biological ripeness. In a bunch of berries of uniform size. They weigh 10-12 g, in very large brushes - up to 20 g. The skin is dense, as a rule, it does not crack in the rain. The pulp is very juicy, fleshy, sweet. The sugar content of the fruits is within 15-18%. The simple taste is distinguished by the harmony of grape and apple notes. The tasters praised the grape variety.
Features of the subsequent grade
Several years after receiving this vine, the breeder E.A. Klyuchikov developed another grape variety. The new Gift to Zaporozhye, according to the description of the variety and the photo, looks like its predecessor, but differs in characteristics. This table hybrid came from crossing the grape varieties Gift to Zaporozhye and Delight.
- Fruiting early, by early August, after 115-125 days;
- The vine is medium-sized, with female and male flowers and massive clusters from 700 g to 2 kg;
- Berries of grapes New Gift of Zaporozhye are oval, elongated, with an average weight of 12 g. The color of the fruit is more saturated with light. The taste is sweeter, got 8 points from the tasters;
- Ripens 97% of ovaries;
- Frost resistance and resistance of the vine to fungal diseases are the same;
- Shoot survival rate - 95%:
- The potential fruit load is 30-40 kidneys.
The grape variety New Gift of Zaporozhye was recognized as suitable for growing by large agricultural enterprises.
Advice! Both related grape varieties can be combined with different rootstocks.
Grape cuttings are planted "Gift of Zaporozhye" mainly in spring, although autumn plantings are also possible, up to October. The grapes quickly take root and get used to new conditions.
Since grapes are an indigenous southern culture, the vine is placed in a sunny place. Planting grapes A gift from Zaporozhye and caring for it will be successful if the vine is placed on the south side of buildings or a solid fence. Protection from northerly winds will be an additional point to guarantee a sweet harvest. You need to take care of planting on the site, not necessarily nearby, grapes with bisexual flowers for more complete pollination. If there is such a vine in a neighboring area, another may not be planted. The soil is cleared of weeds in advance and loosened.
If several vines of this grape variety are planted, they are placed at a distance of 2.5 m. The planting hole is dug deep, up to 1 m. The width is twice the diameter of the seedling roots.
- Drainage is placed at the bottom: stones, ceramics, sand;
- Then the top fertile removed layer of earth is mixed with humus and phosphorus-potassium fertilizers and poured into the hole.
Attention! When preparing the holes, you need to plan the placement of the supports. A vigorous vine of this grape variety will not do without them.
In suitable for growing seedlings with a lignified stem, swollen buds are clearly visible. The bark is free of any damage or signs of disease. If the grape seedlings were stored in the basement, buried in the sand, they are soaked in water overnight before planting. It is possible to use drugs that stimulate root formation.
- The seedling is placed in a hole, where 10 liters of water are poured, and sprinkled with soil;
- The stem is attached to the support and cut off, leaving three shoots.
The planted grapes are carefully looked after: they water, loosen the ground, remove weeds. Watering is especially important for grapes during flowering and berry formation. With drip irrigation, it is convenient to administer dosed top dressing.
The list of works on caring for grapes Gift to Zaporozhye includes insulation in the first three years of the growing season. In areas with cold winters, warming of this variety is mandatory every year.
In the spring, the vines are prophylactically treated with iron or copper sulfate. Against pests, they are sprayed on the buds, on the first leaves and before flowering.
Pruning is the next compulsory item of vine care. Before winter, a little more buds are left to ensure the harvest in case of freezing of the shoots in especially harsh weather.
- After collecting the brushes, remove the lower young shoots at a height of 50 cm from the soil surface;
- The next tier of sleeves is shortened by 10%, removing the side stepsons;
- Before winter, 10-15 days after leaf fall, young lower shoots that have grown outside the sleeve are shortened on the vine, leaving 4 or 5 eyes. They serve as future replacements;
- The upper shoots, future fruit branches, remain with 8-12 buds;
- Only three shoots are left on one sleeve;
- In the spring, you need to cut off all young branches from below;
- It is necessary to make cuts from the inside of the branches, from the one located inside the bush. Such cuts are tightened faster;
- Slices are made even with a sharp instrument.
Important! In July-August, shoots are chased with pruners: a branch is cut off to a well-developed leaf. The procedure improves the maturation of the hand and helps nourish the eyes that remain for the winter.
Preparing for winter
If gardeners in regions with cold weather are thinking about the frost resistance of the grapes Gift to Zaporozhye, whether it will withstand the winter, the answer is unambiguous: only under cover. This variety is shaped like a fan. Before frost, the vines are cut to 1 m and bent to the ground. They are covered with soil, sawdust, leaves and spruce branches are placed on top. In the spring, the vine is attached to the support, all dew roots are removed.
The vine has many positive qualities. But all of them will manifest themselves in full with diligent care.
Alexander, 48 years old, Volgograd region.
I have been growing this grape for the fourth year. The bush began to bear fruit two years after planting. Three huge bunches have grown. The taste is soft. The family liked it.
Tatiana, 43 years old, Kalach-on-Don
We have this variety for covering for the winter. Yielding, the brushes first increase, gain juice, and then ripen. The vine is simply beautiful, as are the delicious berries.
Yuri, 32 years old, Belgorod region
We cover this vine too. Manages to ripen, large brushes are poured. We have already planted ten bushes from their first vine by cuttings. A promising variety.