Peony Du Tell is an amazingly beautiful milky-flowered variety with a delicate color. Flower lovers have their own secrets that allow you to grow peonies on any site. The variety has decent characteristics, thanks to which in 2004 it was awarded the Gold Medal of the American Peony Society (APS).
Description of herbaceous peony Doo Tell
For gardeners, the external parameters of the plant are important. The main characteristics of the flower:
- The bush in an adult state reaches a height of 80 cm. It grows rapidly, the life expectancy is from 20 to 60 years.
- The rhizome of the Du Tell variety is powerful, with thickened edges and fleshy root tubers. The root system grows to the sides and in depth.
- The stems are resilient, strong, thin, but able to keep their shape well. Stems with lateral buds.
- Peony leaves are large, dark green, shiny, dissected, slightly corrugated. They give the bush a decorative effect on a par with flowers. They are especially attractive when the flowering period ends. In autumn, they are painted in burgundy red, sometimes with a purple tint.
Peony roots grow up to 1 m deep
The peony variety "Du Tell" loves the sun and can tolerate an openwork shade or slight shading at noon. Very high frost resistance. The shoots of the bush do not freeze at a temperature of -30 ° C. The variety feels best in the middle lane, grows well in the Moscow region, in the Urals and in Siberia. Gardeners of the southern regions can also plant the variety on their plots, but with shading.
Do Tell peony is of the Japanese type. This representative of the culture is considered a transitional form from simple peonies to double peonies. In the "Du Tell" variety, sterile stamens are collected in the very center of the flower and resemble a lush pompom. They are dark pink, some are colored red. There are 2 rows of outer petals around (there may be 1 row). The diameter of the flower is about 14 cm. The aroma is delicate and pleasant. A medium-flowering peony variety (first half of summer), this period lasts up to 4 weeks. On an adult bush, up to 50 buds open simultaneously.
Lush peony bloom is possible only with good lighting.
Visually about the variety:
Important! The splendor of flowering peony varieties "Du Tell" depends on the degree of illumination of the site.
If the bush is planted in the shade, then you should not expect luxurious flowers.
Du Tell shows good rain resistance.
Application in design
Herbaceous peonies are always decorative. The Du Tell milk-flowered peony is equally good in any style or design direction. With the right selection of "companions", it allows you to create various compositions - from the simplest to the most intricate. Only some features of the peony variety should be taken into account:
- Despite its rapid growth, the bush is gaining the expected decorative effect in 2-3 years.
- The variety does not like frequent transplants.
The best perennial partners for "Du Tell" are phlox, roses, delphinium, sedum, clematis and dicentra. If you play on the difference in foliage configuration, then an excellent combination will be with geyhera, hosta, irises and badan. An amazing contrast is created by white-pink peony flowers with burgundy barberry foliage or green conifers.
Peony of the Japanese type "Du Tell" is planted in groups or single bushes. A group of peonies in the middle of a lawn or on a long border looks very impressive.
Doo Tell can be planted in a pot or flowerpot, but only temporarily. In this case, there will be no lush flowering, therefore, for indoor cultivation, it is better to choose the appropriate variety.
To get new plants on your own, it is recommended to use vegetative propagation methods of the "Du Tell" peony:
- Division of rhizomes. The most favorable time is the end of summer (August) or the beginning of autumn (September). For division, you should choose bushes no more than 4-5 years old. Place the root with adventitious roots in a dark place for 6 hours. Then shorten the length of the adventitious roots to 15 cm. Cut the rhizome into 2-3 parts, each of which should have 2 eyes. Again, put "delenki" of the "Du Tell" variety in a dark place for 3 days, then treat with a solution of potassium permanganate and plant.
- Rooting of layers. Choose a healthy plant in the spring, determine the stem for reproduction. Expose the buds, put the frame on top, fill with fertile soil and moisturize regularly. In September, separate the new Du Tell seedlings and replant.
- Pruning. This option can be performed in the fall and spring. As soon as the snow thaws, shake off the soil and cut off part of the rhizome of the variety, which is 6-8 cm below the buds. Then transplant.
For reproduction by dividing the bush, you should choose only healthy and powerful rhizomes.
Important! The seed method of reproduction of the "Du Tell" peony is not recommended due to the laboriousness of the process.
The first 2 years on a new bush, the buds should be cut off so that further flowering is lush and long-lasting.
In order for a newly planted Du Tell bush to quickly take root and begin to bloom, the gardener needs to correctly complete the main stages of the procedure:
- Choose a place. Peony loves sunny areas without darkening. Light partial shade at noon is acceptable. Variety "Du Tell" does not tolerate neighborhoods with tall shrubs, a wide crown of trees, walls of houses and buildings. The location of groundwater is no closer than 1.5 m from the surface. If not, prepare elevation or drainage.
- Stick to the terms. It is recommended to replant peonies in late August or early September. The main thing is that after planting there is at least 1 month left before the onset of the first frost.
- Prepare the soil. "Du Tell" loves fertile land, but does not make any special demands. It grows best on slightly acidic loams. If the soil is sandy, you need to add clay, in clay - sand. Apply fertilizer such as compost or humus (200 g per pit).
Autumn planting contributes to better adaptation of the peony in a new place.
After completing the initial stages, you can proceed to planting the Du Tell variety.
The algorithm for the spring and autumn events is the same:
- Prepare a cube-shaped pit - 60 cm.
- Lay a drainage layer of fine gravel or coarse sand.
- Add a soil mixture of peat, sand and humus to the pit in a ratio of 1: 1: 1. Mix the composition with potassium sulfate (80 g), superphosphate (150 g), wood ash (300 g). The nutrient layer should be at least 30 cm.
- Place the “delenka” on the ground with a depth of no more than 3-5 cm.
- Sprinkle with earth from the garden, very carefully compact and mulch.
- Water the new peony seedling. You will need 10 liters of water.
When planting several plants, you need to take into account that each of them needs 1.5 sq. m. area.
Timely watering is important for the Du Tell variety. After planting, you need to repeat it after 2-3 days. As the seedling grows, the frequency should be reduced, bringing it up to 1 time per week in the amount of 2-3 buckets of water. The peony does not like stagnant moisture, but the rhizomes should not be allowed to dry out. Take the water settled, not cold. Most of all, the plant needs watering from late May to early August.
Important! The bush should not be watered at the root, but at a distance of 25 cm from the trunk (into the suction zone).
Watering at the root is not recommended so as not to flood the plant
Du Tell needs loosening, which improves the flow of air to the roots. It is better to combine it with watering. The first loosening and weeding should be done no later than 2 weeks after planting. Then repeat once a month.
The peony is not fed for the first 2 years. He has enough food brought in at landing. For 3 years, in the spring, add organic fertilizers (humus, compost). When the budding and flowering phase comes, feed the peony with a mineral complex 2 times (according to the instructions). Foliar spraying is recommended.
Be sure to mulch. Also remove the buds for the first 2 years.
With proper care, the bush blooms for a long time and abundantly.
Preparing for winter
The first stage of pre-winter preparation - feeding the peony in September with phosphorus-potassium compounds (30 g of the preparation "Autumn" or "Autumn" per 1 sq. Area). Then cut the bush to a height of 2 cm from the buds and cover with compost with a layer of 5 cm. You need to cover the plants for the first 2 years in any region, adults - only in the northern regions.
Pests and diseases
For peony "Du Tell", fungal infections (Lemoine's disease, rust, powdery mildew) and pests (aphids, thrips, bronze) can pose a danger. It is necessary to regularly inspect the bushes, carry out preventive spraying with folk compositions (infusion of dandelion, yarrow). For lesions, use fungicides or insecticides.
Peony Doo Tell is a real decoration of the garden. To get a lush bush, gardeners just need to follow agrotechnical recommendations and take into account the needs of the plant. And then the peony will delight for a long time with its fragrant white or pale cream flowers.
Reviews of Peony Doo Tell
A more complete picture of the magnificent peony Do Tell helps to draw up reviews of summer residents.
Elena Valerievna Korableva, 34 years old, Belgorod
Never planted the Japanese form of peonies. "Doo Tell" was a real discovery for me. The flowers are so delicate and fragrant that I decided to breed this variety in large quantities. Leaving is uncomplicated. We had to fight only with aphids, which migrated from other plants. For the rest, 2 preventive treatments per season are enough for the peony. Cut flowers look very beautiful. They stand for a long time and give a delicate aroma.
Valentina Yurievna Zadonova, 50 years old, Novocherkassk
I grow peonies for myself and for sale. I didn't think that "Doo Tell" would be more in demand than the usual fluffy varieties. I started breeding seedlings, dividing the bush and rooting the cuttings works best. Now I have a whole group of "Japanese" in my garden. I like the unpretentiousness of the peony to the soil and care. A minimum of effort is required, and the result is always luxurious.