A bunch of light pink grapes with large oblong berries on a dessert plate ... Harmony of beauty and benefits will be on the table for those gardeners who purchase a canteen seedling of a hybrid form of Vodograi grapes. The early-medium ripening period allows you to grow the vine in the middle lane with the obligatory shelter for the winter.
The variety appeared thanks to the work of an amateur breeder V.V. Zagorulko from the Ukrainian city of Zaporozhye. Table grapes Vodogray obtained on the basis of the well-known varieties Arcadia and Radiant Kishmish. The berries ripen on 120-125 days of vines development. The bunches are removed at the end of August. Growers do not recommend overexposing them on the bushes. Berries from the first signal bunches can be tasted as early as 2-3 years after planting. In the 4th year of growth, the table grape vine gives a full harvest, which is distinguished by an abundance of clusters with large berries.
The Vodograi variety has a high yield, stable annual fruiting. Peas are insignificant.
Vodogray grapes usually begin to color from the top. For a beautiful pink hue in the southern regions, the bunches are shaded if the natural protection of the leaves is not enough. In the middle climatic zone, it is better to pick off the leaves above the bunches so that they receive more sunlight. After a rain that has replaced a long drought, Vodogray berries can crack. The transportation of the bunches is tolerated quite well, but, according to the reviews of some gardeners, several berries may fall off from the combs.
The vines growing from Vodograi grape cuttings are vigorous, differing in a three-tiered root system. Shoots and vines ripen well. The harvest of Vodogray's vines is rationed, minting is carried out so that the bunches are well poured and have time to ripen. For the winter in the middle lane, grapes need to be covered, because its frost resistance is only -21 0C. Tolerance to common fungal diseases, mildew and mildew in Vodogray grapes 3.5 points. Compulsory preventive treatments with fungicides are carried out.
Advice! To facilitate autumn work near the grapes, experienced gardeners plant the vine in long boxes, where the cut bushes are placed and covered on top.
Young shoots of the Vodogray grape variety are light green, and when ripe in the fall, they acquire a warm brown tint. Medium-sized, five-lobed leaves, slightly dissected. The flowers are bisexual. Small bunches are also tied on stepchildren.
Large conical bunches of Vodogray grapes reach a mass of 800-1200 g and more. They are well branched and loose. Delicate pink berries of an oval-nipple shape, weighing 10-12 g. The average size of berries is 28-34 x 18-20 mm. The pulp is firm, fleshy, sweet, not crunchy, very juicy. The taste of the grapes is light Muscat. In some years, the berries are watery.
All those who are engaged in the cultivation of Vodogray grapes note the magnificent appearance of its bunches and a pleasant taste. The Vodogray variety has a number of advantages:
- Great taste;
- High productivity;
- Presentation of bunches;
- Picturesque vine with ripening weighty bunches of regular shape and attractive color.
Pointing to the disadvantages of Vodogray grapes, they also note their relativity. Everything can be compensated by the competent and hard work of the gardener:
- Low frost resistance of grapes;
- Susceptibility to fungal diseases;
- Average transportability.
Cuttings of the Vodogray variety have good rooting, in a school usually all seedlings are powerful and with successful development. Cuttings also successfully grow together with scions. Cut the grape cuttings in the fall, during pruning, and store them in a damp cloth or plastic until February-March, the rooting period.
- Cuttings should be taken only from ripe fruit-bearing vines;
- Cut the cuttings after the leaves fall;
- Choose a straight piece of vine;
- It is better to cut the cuttings long, from 12-15 cm.
In February or early March, cuttings of Vodogray grapes are taken out after storage and soaked for two days in clean water. Then the branches are placed with their lower end in a solution of a growth stimulator in accordance with the instructions for the preparation and planted. For the shanks, special containers and a substrate are prepared. You can use plastic bottles of different sizes: 1.5 and 0.5 liters.
- A large bottle is cut off from above in the form of a glass, holes are made at the bottom for drainage, the appropriate material is put, and on top a layer of garden soil is 3-4 cm;
- The smaller bottle is cut from the bottom and top, inserted into the larger one, and soil is poured between their walls, sealing it well. The soil is watered. Instead of a bottle, you can take a small plastic cup, also removing the bottom;
- Sand is poured into a smaller bottle and watered. Then it is carefully removed;
- A hole is made in the sand for the cutting and planted, leaving 2 buds above the substrate;
- The cut top of the bottle is placed on top, which forms a mini-greenhouse;
- Vodogray grape cuttings are placed on the windowsill, watered every day. The top bottle is removed when the stalk gives the 4th leaf.
Attention! Green spring grape cuttings are also rooted, before the flowering phase. They are less of a concern, but should be planted as soon as possible after cutting.
Grape cuttings are planted in May. For the Vodogray variety, they choose a sunny place protected from the north wind, under the protection of buildings. It is taken into account that this is a vigorous vine form, the arms of which reach up to 4-5 m in length in both directions. The location of the protective box is also provided in advance if they are going to arrange such a form of shelter for the Vodogray grape bush.
- When cutting cuttings in the fall, you can prepare planting pits measuring 80 x 80 x 80 cm;
- Removing the top, fertile layer of the earth, it is laid separately and later mixed with the same amount of humus, 0.5 liters of wood ash, 70 g of superphosphate and 50 g of potassium chloride;
- A drainage is laid at the bottom, then a prepared substrate and a Vodogray grape seedling is installed along with an earthen clod;
- They do not completely fill the hole with the planted cuttings, the seedling grows in a small depression, which, after planting, is poured with water, then mulched.
Vodogray grape seedling in the first year of growth does not burden the gardener with a large amount of work. Loosening the trunk circle, removing weeds, watering and preventive treatments for diseases are all worries. They leave one powerful shoot that rises upward. On the 2-3rd years, signal clusters appear. A full-fledged harvest of Vodogray grapes is formed in the 4th year.
A seedling of the Vodogray variety is watered regularly in a circular groove. To prevent the soil from drying out in the hole, it is mulched.
- Adult vines are watered for the first time in a season, even before the buds awaken, so that the soil is moistened by 30 cm, 30-40 liters per Vodogray grape bush;
- The second watering of the grapes is carried out before flowering. Do not water during flowering, so that the flowers do not crumble;
- Water when forming ovaries;
- Summer watering is carried out in case of prolonged drought and berry growth arrest;
- Before frost, in autumn, grapes need water-charging irrigation - 40-50 liters per vine.
Fertilize grapes only for the 4th-5th year of growth, if the soil was enriched during planting.
- In the spring, after removing the shelter, each grape bush is fed with a solution of 10 g of ammonium nitrate, 20 g of superphosphate and 5 g of potassium chloride per 10 liters of water;
- The same composition is given before flowering;
- 2-3 weeks before the berries ripen, the vine is supported with superphosphate and a chlorine-free potassium preparation: 20 g per 10 l of water;
- This fertilizer is also fed to the Vodograi variety after harvest, so that the vine is healthy in the pre-winter period.
In autumn, the grapes are cut into 4-6 eyes. In summer, the load is distributed according to the rule: 1 shoot - 1 bunch. In the middle lane, Vodogray grapes are best formed in a fan, with a vine inclination of 45 degrees. It is better to bend it down later for wintering. An adult bush can withstand up to 20 clusters with an average weight of 1 kg.
Prophylactically, Vodogray vines sensitive to mildew and powdery mildew are treated with fungicides Ridomil, Tilt-250, Cabrio Top and others. The acaricides Omayt, Sunmayt, Demitan will help against the tick.
Growing this canteen vine will beautify the yard and reward the enthusiastic gardener's work with outstanding results.
Liza, 36 years old, Voronezh region
The Vodogray variety is really very popular on the market. And although you have to work with him, feed and spray, the worries pay off.
Matvey, 27 years old, Volgograd region
Father propagated the Vodogray vine, now we have 4 bushes. Three three-year-olds, of which they received decent signaling. And we breed one old bush by 6 meters, the bunches are on average 1 kg each. Berries should not be overexposed.
Nikolai Fedorovich, 65 years old, Belgorod region
I grow Vodogray in a cozy place, it always ripens in August. Every year I process Baikal EM-1 with fertilizer. After a year, I fertilize with humus. I hope that's why the vine doesn't fail.