Strawberry Great Britain - late variety with large berries. The culture is frost-resistant, therefore it is grown in most of the territories of Russia. The berries fell in love with gardeners for their beautiful cherry-burgundy color, unusual taste and pleasant aroma.
The origin of strawberries in the UK is not known for certain. The Chamora Turusi variety was involved in its creation. The resulting variety differs from its predecessor in its later ripening period and interesting berry taste.
Characteristics and description of strawberry varieties UK
Strawberry Great Britain is a fruitful variety with large fruits. The culture has a distinctive feature: the first berries on the brush resemble a cockscomb. Bushes are vigorous, well developed. The foliage is deep green in color, large.
In one place it grows from six to eight years without a transplant. But after four years, the land is very depleted, so it is recommended to change the bed or fertilize the soil.
The appearance and taste of berries
According to gardeners, strawberries Great Britain tastes good. Tasting score - 4.9 points out of 5.
The first berries on the fruit cluster of the UK variety are formed large, the rest are medium and small
The shape of the strawberry is correct, conical. Young bushes have only one large ovary. The color of the berries is cherry-burgundy, the flesh is dense, red. The taste and aroma are pronounced.
Ripening period and yield of strawberries Great Britain
If the bushes are planted in spring, the first fruits begin to be harvested in the second decade of July. The process lasts until September, and in the southern regions it continues at the beginning of autumn.
Under favorable growing conditions, about 4 kg of berries can be harvested from each UK strawberry bush. With insufficient watering, the indicator is reduced to 1-2 kg.
The Great Britain variety is grown in all Russian regions. Strawberries have good frost resistance - up to minus 15-20 ° C. The variety is not afraid of recurrent frosts. To avoid freezing, in the northern regions, strawberry planting is mulched and covered with spruce branches or spunbond.
Disease and pest resistance
The variety is not characterized by increased resistance to infectious diseases. May suffer from gray mold in rainy summers. The main signs of damage: the appearance of brown or dark gray spots on berries and leaves. You can notice a fluffy coating of a mouse color. Ripe fruits become watery and lose their pleasant taste, and unripe fruits dry out.
Ramulariasis affects petioles and peduncles. On the leaf plates, rounded reddish-brown dots are visible, which gradually change color to whitish with a dark border.
With brown spot, old leaves are affected. Reddish-brown spots appear on them, which gradually turn black and become covered with a fungus. Affected leaf plates dry out and die off.
The main pests of strawberries: slugs, weevils, nematodes, strawberry mites, ants
Important! The variety has no resistance to insects, so the culture needs preventive treatments.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Strawberries UK have a lot of positive qualities. But, like any plant, the variety has disadvantages.
The pros and cons of culture are presented in the table.
Weak resistance to stains and rot
Normal transportability and keeping quality
The need for top dressing
Good tasting score
Late ripening (this point is attributed by many to positive qualities)
No pest resistance
Before carrying out planting work, it is necessary to take care of the preparation of the soil. When choosing a site, pay attention to the following points:
- Bad neighbors and predecessors for UK strawberries are potatoes and eggplants. The presence of dill, parsley and other greens is permissible in the garden. Marigolds, which are repellent plants that repel pests, will be good neighbors. Strawberries will feel fine if carrots or beets grow near the garden.
- You can disinfect the ground with an ammonium nitrate solution. Do this in advance, a few weeks before planting strawberries. Growing lupine on walking ground will naturally decontaminate the soil.
- Fertile soil with good drainage is chosen for strawberries. If the water on the site is stagnant, the formation of earthen hills should be provided for planting the crop.
- In depleted areas, humus is introduced for digging. The garden is plowed and watered.
Strawberry planting technology UK:
- The strawberry holes should be shallow but large enough to accommodate the rhizomes.
- When planting, adhere to the following dimensions: 30 cm between holes in a row, 40-60 cm - aisles.
- If humus was not introduced before planting, fertilizers with microelements are added to the soil.
- Too long roots of strawberries are shortened slightly with a pruner before planting.
- The bush is set in the hole, the roots are straightened.
- The landing hole is covered with earth.
- The soil is gently crushed with your hands.
- The bushes are watered with settled water at room temperature.
- After the water is absorbed into the soil, the plants are mulched.
How to care
Strawberry Great Britain is not a very capricious plant, but to get a good harvest you need to know how to care for the crop.
- Regular watering of the soil. The root system of UK strawberries is close to the surface, so it dries very quickly on dry days. For continuous irrigation, you can arrange a drip irrigation system. If this is not possible, then the strawberries are watered daily on hot days. For 1 m² of area, 7-10 liters of water will be required. On cloudy days (no precipitation), 5-6 liters are enough for the same territory. In the spring and during the cool period - three moistening of the soil per week, 5 liters per 1 m². If it rains, watering is stopped. During flowering, UK strawberries are best watered in the early morning.
In intense heat, the culture is moisturized in the evening, after sunset
Important! Reducing the number of watering allows mulching or covering the beds with agrofibre.
- Timely feeding. This is done several times per season: after planting, during the appearance of flowers and ovaries, before the onset of cold weather. In spring, formulations with phosphorus and potassium are used. The introduction of the mullein is possible in the second year after planting. This organic compound is very concentrated, so it is only used diluted for UK strawberries. Phosphate-potassium fertilizers are used throughout the warm season. For 1 m² of area, 20 g of a complex product will be required.
- Prevention and treatment of diseases, getting rid of pests. As means for treating bushes, they use: Bordeaux liquid, iodine, hydrogen peroxide. To eliminate pests, Actellik, Karbofos, Spark are used. Strawberries are most often grown for children and grandchildren, so they try to do without chemicals. When slugs appear, they are collected by hand, and the soil in the aisles is covered with needles, crushed eggshells, walnuts.
Repellent plants will help protect the beds from pests: marigolds, garlic, onions
- Weeding, mulching. Weeds can clog UK strawberries and significantly reduce yields. To prevent this from happening, the grass in the beds is weeded regularly. Mulching helps to reduce the growth of weeds and also prevents the soil from drying out. Wood shavings, mown grass, straw are used as mulching materials.
- Loosening - the procedure is necessary so that the roots do not rot and receive a sufficient amount of oxygen. Carried out after watering or heavy rains.
- Trimming the mustache is necessary to prevent thickening of the planting. The first time this is done in the spring, then the berries will form large. The shoots are re-pruned after fruiting. If the strawberries need to be propagated, then part of the mustache is left. They should have no more than three outlets.
- In the fall, the strawberry beds must be removed. Damaged and dried foliage is cut from the bushes. The beds are watered, treated with herbicides. Mulching is carried out to protect against frost. The best material for this is coniferous litter. If not, use straw, wood shavings, tree foliage.
How does it multiply
Strawberries UK can be propagated by dividing the bush, mustache, seeds. Most often, gardeners use the layering method. The mustache is directed to a well-dug garden bed and the largest sockets are fixed, the rest are cut off with a secateurs. The procedure is carried out in the summer. The next year, new bushes will yield a harvest.
Strawberry Great Britain is a large-fruited variety with a late fruiting date. The berries are tasty, with a dense skin, so they can be transported. The variety is grown not only in private backyards, but also for industrial purposes.
Strawberry gardeners reviews UK
Evseeva Elizaveta, 49 years old, Apsheronsk
The UK planted strawberries about five years ago. I harvest a wonderful harvest every year. The berries are tasty, firm, stored in the refrigerator for several days. I make jam, compotes, freeze. The variety is undemanding to growing conditions. Standard care: watering, feeding, trimming the mustache.
Vasily Dementyev, 64 years old, Blagoveshinsk
Great Britain acquired the strawberry variety from friends in the country. I liked the large berries and the minimum of plant care. The harvest is really big. From each bush, subject to the rules of cultivation, you can collect up to 3-4 kg of berries.